Saturday, June 18, 2011

Massage - European Style!

So on May 29th I decided to treat myself to a massage at my gym.  I somehow didn't book it correctly at the gym for the 50 minute massage, but when I arrived they said they had a 20 minute massage time open so I figured why not!  Well I went through the Turkish bath area and did the instructions for the first 45 minutes, which was ok (see earlier post - still a bit odd).  Then I am waiting in the room and they call me in so I am excited for some relaxation!  I walk into a room with about 4 massage tables - there was already some dude getting a massage and then me and this other lady walk in together...my masseuse is like ok take off your robe and hop on the table.  Mind you there is 6 other people in the room and I am naked under my robe, but I reluctantly do what she says and she covers me up....then pulls the little towel so it is just barely covering my butt area!  She does her massage thing then has me flip over onto my back and again covers me up....HOWEVER this time only my crotch area is covered, but my top half and everything else was completely exposed as she massages up and down my body with oil...I was out in the open!  It was the strangest thing ever and so not what I am used to in America!  When I asked my friends at the office, my fellow American and a guy from the UK both thought it was strange, but my other European friends said that was completely normal and didn't get why I was so uncomfortable! I explained how the Americans do it, but to each his own...and I guess I am living the European lifestyle right now and it is all part of the culture :)

1 comment:

  1. You are brave. I'm such a prude I would have ran away.

    ReplyDelete