Saturday, September 18, 2010
The hunt for the perfect apartment!
My first official week in Switzerland was to focus on running all my errands and the main mission - to find a place to call home while I'm here. Well Valerie (my relocation specialist) made sure to keep me quite busy with checking out about 12 apartments, registering with the Swiss government, opening bank accounts (I can officially say I have a Swiss bank account - very cool!), researching Healthcare Insurance, and getting a mobile phone. I can now say I've experienced the madness with apartment hunting in Zurich as I've heard lots of stories - you could find 10 apartments you like, submit applications, and get rejected for all of them...it's almost like a lottery system! I found a couple I like and fortunately one of them accepted my application - Mission accomplished!! It's a cute 2 bedroom in the Oerlikon area of Zurich - a little further away from Main station than I had hoped for, but it's a great newly renovated apartment with a very nice area with lots of shops and restaurants. The couple currently renting it was a husband from England and the wife from Switzerland, but both parents were armenian - so I definitely think she put a good word in for a fellow armenian :-) Thank goodness for that! Next up will be LOTS of shopping at Ikea to furnish my beautiful new apartment - so I better have LOTS of visitors ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Congrats on the new place!!
ReplyDelete