Sunday, July 3, 2011

Go Triathlon Team Disqualified!

So June 19th was the big Zug Triathlon and J&J signed people up who were interested.  You could compete in a short Triathlon as a single (500meter swim, 20K bike, 5K run), or do the long triathlon (1500meter swim, 40K bike, 10k run) as a single or as a relay team.  About 1000 people competed in the Triathlon.  Jincy, Giacomo, and myself decided to do the long triathlon as a team :)  Giacomo was our swimmer, Jincy the biker, and I was the runner :)  Unfortunately the weather on this day was horrible!  It was really cold and cloudy and the swimmers were off first!  Our poor Giacomo was one of 2 people without a wetsuit, but he braved it awesomely for the team in a teeny tiny speedo no less!  Thank god the swimmers went first though because later in the morning the Zug lake had the yellow light flashing which means no boats are allowed on the lake because of the rough waters (so you can only imagine how fun that must have been to swim in 2 hours earlier).  After Giacomo made it over to our area, he handed over the chip to Jincy and she was off on her way!  So I had more time to wait (and freeze my tail off!) as it was sooo cold and I was not dressed appropriately!  I waited, waited, and waited some more!!  About an hour later all the other team runners were off and I sat like a little frozen popsicle waiting patiently.  Giacomo came back to check in and loaned me his fleece thank god!!  After the runners started rolling in I started to become very worried as there was no sign of Jincy!  Ivonne, the J&J fitness coordinator, finished her run and made a call in to the safety team to see if they had seen Jincy.  They said they were following her for a while, but she went off course and the motorbikes could not follow her, so we waited a little bit longer, while they tracked her chip to see where she was.  About 2 hrs and 15 minutes later Jincy made it back safely so we were all relieved!!  She had gotten off track and caught in a rain storm - poor thing was frozen and wet from the ride!  Because of the bike delay our team couldn't finish the race as they were already wrapping things up so it was mentioned we couldn't finish "due to weather circumstances" so in the end I didn't get to complete my 10K officially on the record, but I could not go down like that!!  I promised a 10K and I was going to deliver!! So after the triathlon, I made my way back to Zurich and headed over to the gym to hop on the treadmill :)  I ran, ran, and ran some more on that treadmill to officially complete my 10K, which I did and beat my last time by 3 minutes completing it in 1 hr, 19 min, 30 seconds :)!!  I know slow for most people, but great for me so I was pretty happy with that!  The next triathlon we will all be more prepared for sure - these triathletes mean business!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment